Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What bands have albums coming out that you want to get?

I still love going and buying CD. Call me old-school but I burned a ton of CD's back in the day but I still have a tendency to listen to the ones I purchased. Maybe its a visual thing, or that I don't like looking through stacks of unordered CD's to find the one I want. When cassettes were the thing, I had hundreds of them and went out and got everyone from the bands I liked. When CD's became the norm, I did not have the $$$ to replace all those cassettes; so enter the likes of Napster. Fast forward a bunch of years and I am at a crossroads of the CD vs. Mp3 dilemma. I have decided that I have no interest in downloading mp3 from places like iTunes because I guess I still want the physical copy to do with what I want. There are times when I like to listen to things randomly on an mp3 player and there are those times when you want to here the entire CD from beginning to end. I realize that you can do that on an mp3 player as well but I have mine set to shuffle and it is a pain to change it while driving. Also, it goes back to the visual thing, I see Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and I just HAVE to hear the 2nd cd from front to back. I think many of you know what I am getting at here. The moral of the story is that I think the dilemma is over, I want to buy the CD's.

So what does this have to do with the title of this blog? Well, my wish list of CD's to purchase goes on forever partly because I am still finding new music I want and partly because I am slowly replacing many of the burned versions of CD's I have (like Rush and Jethro Tull). I rarely have a new cd to get when it first comes out except for Dream Theater but there are several cd's that I want to get right when they come out. But there are several coming out in the near future that I am excited to get. Here we go:
  1. Symphony X – Iconoclast (June 2011); I just got this one. A 2-CD album of progressive metal. It was a bit of a disappointment only because many of the songs sound the same but a bad Symphony X is still better than anything you hear on the radio around here in Milwaukee. Here is song called Dehumanized form the new CD.

  2. Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn of Events (September, 2011); New drummer. That's I'll I have to say. But seriously, I hear the title track and Mike Mangini (the “new' Mike in the band:) is an amazing drummer and the track On The Backs of Angels sounds promising. It will be weird not to have Portnoy but I am a fan so I have to get it.

  3. Adrenaline Mob – Self Titled; A “Supergroup” of sorts with Mike Portnoy (Ex-Dream Theater) on Drums, Russel Allen (Symphony X) and a few other guys from other bands. This could either really good or really bad depending on where I “expect” this album to be. I have read that this is NOT prog but hard rock. Here is a teaser of the tunes  Russel Allen, for those of you who may not know Symphony X, has one of THE best voices out there. The range is incredible and he can do it live (I saw it:). We shall see.

  4. Jane's Addiction – the Great Escape Artist (August, 2011). I make no apologies about being a huge fan of Jane's Addiction. They are just different and that makes them great. I love the last album (Strays) and look forward to hearing some new material. They have a video  for "End to the Lies" on their website. Pretty cool.

That's what I have right now. Are there any albums that you are looking forward to purchasing in the near future when they come out? Please let me know.

8 comments:

  1. I use itunes somtimes but I am old school too. I love purchasing a CD and listening to it from start to finish! I am looking forward to getting Alice Cooper's upcoming fall resease, a sequel to Welcome to my Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am looking forward to the DT & Adrenaline Mob CDs. The other CD I was looking forward to this year was released just last month but I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, Black Country Communion "2." The first album was good but there was a "sameness" to all of the songs. I'm hoping they stretch out a bit more on their sophomore release.

    I'm also looking forward to the sophomore release of California Transit Authority (featuring former Chicago drummer Danny Seraphine and session guitarist extraordinairre Marc Bonilla). Their first album was comprised predominantly of new arrangements of early Chicago songs. I've heard the new album will feature predominantly new material. Also Danny's former Chicago bandmate, Bill Champlin, guested on the album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I have to add one more. I just read that Mike Portnoy is working on an album with John Sykes (Whitesnake & Thin Lizzy) and an as yet unnamed mystery bass-player. Portnoy made a point of saying it's a REAL band and not a side project so he'll be in both this trio AND Adrenaline Mob which he also considers to be a "REAL band" and not a side project. So yeah I'm looking forward to that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately, I've been scouring rummage sales and libraries for cheap music to satisfy for music addiction. I just burned the Lyryrd Skynyrd three disc boxed set this afternoon, that I borrowed from the library.

    With money being tight, my upcoming selections of new releases are rather limited. I plan on getting Yes Fly From Here, Black Country Communion 2 and DEFINITELY Rush Clockwork Angels when that comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I really want to get is the new Rush album when it comes out. Otherwise what ever I see that looks good at a rummage sale or at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next on my list is the new Whitesnake Live At Donington...Coverdale can do no wrong IMHO. Also Step Up To The Plate by Dem Brooklyn Bums,a proto-swing band , I checked out their version of Detroit Rock City by Kiss...brilliant! Definitely going in the shopping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rock Brigade Blogger, I had not heard about that one. Sounds interesting.

    Perplexio, I read the same thing about John Sykes, never a huge fan of Thin Lizzy but Portnoy love to jam with his idols. Could be good.

    drewzepmeister, new Rush CD.. enough said :) It took me a while to warm up to Snakes and Arrows, but I can listen to it now (the same thing has happened with a lot of their newer stuff).

    Tender Heart Bear, I hear you, but every time I go to rummage sales (and we have a HUGE one in our subdivision every year) all I find is crap :(

    John, I too love David Coverdale (especially Coverdale-Page). When was that live CD recorded?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just wanted to let you know I just now found all the comments you left on Gone But Not Forgotten (they were stuck in my moderation folder). Thank you for each and every one of them, they were all meaningful.

    ReplyDelete