Friday, April 1, 2011

Angel of Death by Slayer



Ok, so I understand that this may not be everyone's cup of tea but this song brings back fond memories for me. I just turned 13 and had just moved to a new area. I was just starting to make new friends when I met Carl. Now Carl was about 2 years older than me and a rebel in many ways. He had (and still does) have hair down to the middle of his back and basically raised himself. We both lived in the same apartment complex where I would go to visit and was amazed by the freedom he had. He could smoke in the house, have girls in his bedroom (even overnight a few times) and had no curfew at all. Being from a very regimented family I relished in this type of freedom even if it only lasted for a few hours.

I had started smoking by then and we would bum each other smokes (as we called them) and listen to music. I can thank Carl for introducing me to three bands that would have a lasting impact on my music listening enjoyment and later playing career. Up in his smoke filled room, with his goofy green frog ashtray (the same one my father-in-law uses to hold sponges, but I digress), Carl played me Yes (Classic Yes), Jethro Tull (Aqualung) and Slayer (Reign In Blood). Now that's quite a mix of genres I know, but I loved all three right away.

I grew up listening to mostly blues based rock so this music just blew me away. The song Angel of Death still gets me pumped up when I listen to it (over 25 years later). I fell in love with thrash metal and progressive rock that day and have never looked back. I have never had the chance to see Slayer live but I hear they are still amazing after all these years. This may be a reach but is there anyone else out there that has memory attached to this song? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment