Thursday, April 7, 2011

Head Like a Hole by nine Inch Nails



Nine Inch Nails is one of those bands I call "a guilty pleasure". The early albums had electronic drums but I still love their stuff (well, most of it). The story behind Head Like a hole start when I first started college in January of 1991. I screwed up my math and English placement tests so I had to start in courses that were below 100 level and for no credit. In addition I had a philosophy class and a geology class. The philosophy class was a joke. It was called "God, Minds and Morality" but was taught by an atheist. The professor once yelled just before class, without any warning,  "While were are sitting here, there are babies being killed all over the world!" We all just sat there in stunned silence. So I hope you can tell why this class was a big waste of time after a while.On Thursdays, I had a 5 hour break between the philosophy lecture and the discussion. So I spent a lot of time hanging out on campus.

My buddies did not go to college but were avid pool players so they would come down to UWM and we would hang out in the rec center on my 5 hour break. there were many times that I would just skip the discussion all together because we were having fun sand the class sucked. While we played pool, this song would come on all the time and I found myself singing along to the chorus: "Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve". Finally after a few times hearing this song I remembered to go see who was the artist was on the jukebox. So whenever I hear that song I think of ditching class with my buddies and playing pool.

I now work at UWM and a different buddy of mine teaches pool in the rec center so occasionally i will go and visit him. I always think back to those times when I step foot in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment